Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Irony Sucker-Punched Me Today

I wasn't sleeping recently, and I couldn't help but notice that the strangest things go through your mind in the middle of the night. They seem so relevant and urgent at the time, but thoroughly dissipate with the coming of dawn. I have no idea why it even crossed my mind . . . but I was going over my life and remembering Gilda Radner. When I was a kid I so admired her and wished to be like her when I grew up. She was so funny and energetic and unique. And then it hit me - I got my wish to be like her - I got cancer too. I really need to be more specific when I cast my wishes out into the cosmic waves.

I haven't written for some time. Writers block. This would be more frustrating if it weren't for the fact that what I realized is that I simply don't have that much to say about cancer anymore. I finished radiation last month. That was the last of my major treatments. It is now maintenance and screenings. I suppose I should re-name the blog - any suggestions? "The Big Regular Life Coaster Ride"? Not very catchy.

My big regular life includes my eldest child graduating from Jr. High and moving on to High School. My middle son is moving on to Jr. High. My daughter will be going into second grade. Summer is almost here and I am truly amazed at the "blur" which was this past year. I am very grateful that it is this year, and not this time last year. It's going to be a very busy summer! There are tennis lessons and fencing classes, ballet, tap and Polynesian dancing, tutoring, piano, swimming, and about a million scout merit badges to slog through. It's probably more like, seven merit badges - but I like to exaggerate for drama. I'm afraid someone has to drive to and from all these fabulous activities - and that someone is yours truly. I survived cancer treatment to re-start my career as a professional chauffeur. My mini-van is like a giant purse on wheels. I practically have to shovel it out at the end of each week so that we can begin the taxi service all over again.

Honestly . . . it's pretty great to get to do all this big regular stuff. Schelpping kids, running errands, cooking meals, reading the Sunday paper and passing the "funnies" around . . . it's all pretty great. The real irony here? The stuff I didn't really appreciate before - now I feel fortunate to get to do it. I hope I get to enjoy all the mundane tasks for a long time to come. They're really not so mundane, they're just life. And life . . . it's pretty cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crap! Has it really been that long since I checked this blog. I swear I checked it faithfully every other day or so for a couple of months and then I guess the end-of-the-school-year crapola crazies took over my life and I forgot to check here. Not that I was getting anything for my efforts for quite a while, so I don't feel too guilty. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate the schlepping and mundane that is my daily life. Pedicure anyone?